October 7, 2022
ELDERHELP EXPANDS SERVICES TO NORTH COUNTY
ACQUIRES FOUNDATION FOR SENIOR WELLBEING
San Diego, CA —To expand life-altering senior services to North County older adults, ElderHelp has acquired the Foundation for Senior Wellbeing, a nonprofit dedicated to improving the lives of San Diego’s North County seniors. “It was a fit that made sense,” shares the Foundation’s former Executive Director, Sarah Benson. “We have a great base from which to grow, and ElderHelp has the model, depth, and excellent reputation to make it happen. Working together, we will build upon what the Foundation accomplished through the Senior Information Resource Center to expand supportive services for North County seniors.” Sarah will join ElderHelp’s team as Director, San Diego North. She adds, “I’m honored to join this experienced team and be a part of this transition.”
“We’ve been serving North County older adults for over 40 years,” cites ElderHelp CEO Deb Martin, “but mostly through our Intake/Referral and HomeShare programs. This acquisition is part of our strategic plan to expand our footprint to serve more seniors in the County and is an excellent catalyst to expand other programs such as Care Coordination, Seniors A Go Go, Home Safety Maintenance, and more. Our amazing volunteers, who are the core of our programs, are excited about the new opportunities. We’re excited about connecting North County seniors with resources to help them live independently with dignity in their own homes.”
CHALLENGES FACING SENIORS TODAY:
• Food insecurity: 1 in 10 SD seniors is food insecure
• Housing stability: 1 in 4 San Diegans experiencing homelessness is a senior
• Isolation: 1 in 3 SD Seniors lives alone
INTERVIEWS UPON REQUEST
• ElderHelp CEO/Executive Director Deb Martin discusses the critical need for supportive senior services in San Diego and North County
• Director, San Diego North Sarah Benson discusses community collaboration
• A North County Senior may be available via Zoom or in-person to share a personal story
• ElderHelp Volunteer shares the importance and rewards of community service
Since 1973, ElderHelp has been providing San Diego seniors with affordable, personalized services and information to help them remain independent and live with dignity in their own homes. The nonprofit organization impacts the lives of more than 7,000 seniors and their families each year by providing vital services such as transportation, advocacy, home safety management, and support for family caregivers.
For Information contact: Gretchen Veihl, Director of Philanthropy: gveihl@ elderhelpofsandiego.org or call 858-232-5698.